The Staff Attorney will further the Legal and Compliance department goals in reducing corporate liability and risk. This position will assist where necessary with the duties supporting Legal and Compliance’s main functions, including research of legal issues and the drafting and analysis of contracts. When necessary, the Staff Attorney will support the business proposal development process as directed.
- Performs research and provides recommendations on reducing corporate liability and risk for CSD
- Drafts, analyzes, and revises business contracts
- Cooperates with and provides legal support for litigation affecting CSD
- Responds to state and federal rule-making requests for information on issues affecting CSD
- Identifies, researches, and summarizes legal issues
- Monitors and reviews standard contract templates on a regular bases and updates in accordance to any changes in law
- Assists with ensuring contractual and regulatory compliance
- Assists with updating and maintaining the central database for all contracts and legal documents
- Represents CSD’s Legal and Compliance Department when the Chief Legal Officer is unavailable or as directed
- As directed, takes part in the business proposal response process
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, the candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong computer skills; good working knowledge of the internet
- Ability to work independently and with broad latitude for decision making
- Strong creative writing and superior editing skills
- Knowledgeable in contract law and principles
- Ability to identify red flags in contracts to protect business interests and reduce corporate liability
- Ability to negotiate terms of contracts in the company’s best interests
- Excellent communication, organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrates familiarity with needs and concerns of deaf and hard of hearing consumers
- Ability to communicate in American Sign Language
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Three years of professional experience practicing law
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Texas or, if licensed in another jurisdiction, able to become licensed in the state of Texas within one year of employment
- Ability to communicate effectively using American Sign Language
With a $15,000 grant in 1975, CSD began providing sign language services in Sioux Falls, SD, from a broom closet.
CSD quickly expanded to multiple programs and services designed to provide communication and access points for Deaf people. Programs and services included job placement and training, adult basic education classes, and domestic violence support, along with telecommunication relay services, video relay services, and then video remote interpreting. Today, CSD continues this influential ambition of ensuring equality among all people — in One World.
By creating innovative tools and resources that empower, promote, and encourage One World where everyone is valued with opportunities for everyone, we are actualizing the future. CSD invests in the community by sparking the inner light of each individual, bringing them together to create a bright future.